Looking to add a product video to your WooCommerce product gallery? In this guide, we’ll show you how.
As a bonus, we’ll outline why adding a featured video is beneficial for your store’s sales and customer experience.
Want to get right to it? This guide uses the following plugin:
- WooThumbs for WooCommerce – Help customers make a buying decision by adding embedded video into your product gallery from either YouTube, Vimeo, or by uploading videos of your own.
If you want to jump to certain points in the article, just click on one of the following links:
Why you should add a product video to your WoCommerce product gallery
The evidence speaks for itself. In a Wyzowl report, 79% of people said a brand’s video has convinced them to buy a piece of software or app. In general, 68% of people said they’d most prefer to learn about a new product or service by watching a short video.
So with these statistics in mind, what makes video so effective when it comes to sales?
We’ve outlined the reasons why video works well in a previous article. But for the purposes of this guide, here’s a summary:
- Video condenses key pieces of information your customer needs to know quickly and simply.
- High-quality video builds trust by showing the product is real and tangible.
- Video helps with SEO and ranking with Google.
- Video keeps people on your product page for longer, increasing the likelihood they will buy.
When it comes to increasing your ecommerce conversion rate, adding a video to your WooCommerce product gallery is an excellent technique to implement with a great return on investment.
So now we’ve explored why adding video to your WooCommerce store is beneficial. The next section of this article will take you through how to add a video to your WooCommerce product gallery.
How to add a video to your WooCommerce product gallery
In short, here’s how to add video to a WooCommerce product:
- Copy the URL of the video you want to use.
- Edit the product you want to add the video to and click ‘Add product gallery images’.
- Upload a thumbnail image for the video and paste the video URL in the URL field.
- Save or Update your product.
Below we’ll go through each of these steps in detail.
Okay let’s get to it, here’s how to add video into your product gallery with the WooCommerce product gallery plugin, WooThumbs for WooCommerce.
WooThumbs for WooCommerce allows you to add embed video content into your gallery from YouTube, Vimeo, Daily Motion, and other platforms. Either that, or you can upload self-hosted video (MP4) files into your image gallery manually.
Not only that, but with WooThumbs installed, you’ll be able to completely customize your product gallery with everything from:
- Changing the position and spacing of the product thumbnail images.
- Enable sliding thumbnails for better user experience.
- Improving and changing the image zoom style to suit you.
- Adding additional images for your variations.
- And so much more.
Okay, so now we know the benefits of using WooThumbs for WooCommerce, let’s get it set up and add your product video.
Step 1: Install WooThumbs for WooCommerce
To get started, purchase WooThumbs for WooCommerce from the Iconic store: iconicwp.com/products/woothumbs
Or, sign up for your 14-day free trial below:
Then follow these steps:
- Go to Plugins > Add New > Upload Plugin.
- Choose the zip file you downloaded, upload, and then click ‘Activate’.
- Once activated, you’ll need to enter your licence key.
Now we have WooThumbs for WooCommerce installed, we can move on to adding a featured video into your product gallery.
Step 2: Add your featured product video
If you’d rather, you can watch our video for adding video to your WooCommerce product gallery here:
Otherwise, if you’re using a video from Vimeo or YouTube, take the following steps:
Note: If you’d like to upload self-hosted videos or media, you can follow our self-hosted guide.
- Copy the URL of the Vimeo video or YouTube video you want to show in your product gallery (save this because we’ll need it later).
- Go to Products.
- Select the product you want to add the video to.
- Navigate down to the ‘Product gallery’ module on the product page.
- Click the ‘Add product gallery images’ link.
At this point, you’ll need to upload a thumbnail image of the video you want to show as the featured image, or you can use an existing image in your media gallery.
This will act as a preview image in your WooCommerce product gallery but when clicked will show only the embedded video in your product image gallery.
Note: The size of this image depends on your theme settings.
- Upload your image.
- In the URL field of your uploaded image, paste the URL from YouTube which you copied earlier as shown in the screenshot below.
- Then, set your aspect ratio. Most gallery images are square, so usually, 1:1 works well. A lot of videos these days are 16:9 to allow full-screen, but it depends entirely on what suits your store.
- There’s no save button here because WordPress automatically saves media, so just exit the media library and go back to your product page.
- Save or update your product.
Now when you navigate to the page of the product you’ve been editing, you’ll see the video you’ve just uploaded displaying in the WooCommerce product gallery with default video controls.
There you have it, your store will now have click-worthy WooCommerce product videos displaying in your product page galleries in a pop-up lightbox or in full-screen.
As we’ve already explored, using video for your WooCommerce products not only enhances your customer’s buying experience but increases your conversion rate too.
WooCommerce product video frequently asked questions
Can I add video to WooCommerce product?
If you have WooCommerce installed on your site, currently there’s no way for you to add a product video to your product page gallery without the help of a plugin. With WooThumbs for WooCommerce however, you can add video to your WooCommerce products in just a few minutes.
How do I add a YouTube video to WooCommerce?
Add a video to your WooCommerce product gallery today
In this guide, you’ve learned why you should be using video in your WooCommerce product gallery. You’ve also had step-by-step instructions for how to add a video to your product pages by using a WooCommerce product gallery plugin.
When used well, video can be a massive game-changer when it comes to selling products online. Adding them to your product pages quickly and efficiently with WooThumbs for WooCommerce just makes the whole process that little bit easier.
Plugins featured in this guide:
- WooThumbs for WooCommerce – Help customers make a buying decision by adding embedded video into your product gallery from either YouTube, Vimeo, or video upload.
If there’s anything we missed from this guide, be sure to leave us a comment and we’ll add it.