In a standard WooCommerce store, setting a delivery date and time is hard work. If you want to let customers know when they’ll receive their item, you have to put a generic delivery timescale (1-2 business days) on your website.
Not to mention, if you want a customer to be able to select a delivery date to suit them, it simply can’t be done without a little help.
So, by the end of this article, you’ll know exactly how to add delivery date and time to WooCommerce.
Better yet, you’ll be able to let customers select it and set up a delivery schedule to suit you. Oh, and you’ll be able to do it in 2 steps with the WooCommerce delivery plugin, WooCommerce Delivery Slots.
How WooCommerce Delivery Slots works
With WooCommerce Delivery Slots, you let the customer select their preferred delivery date and time.
With a little customization on the back-end, you can customize this delivery schedule to suit you. So you’re not having to deliver when you don’t have time and you have full control over deliveries within your store.
So here’s how it works from the customer’s perspective:
- A customer browses your online store as they would usually and adds the products they want to buy to their cart.
- At the checkout, they’re given the option to pick a delivery date and time for their order.
- Once paid for, the customer will be sent a confirmation email detailing their purchase and a reminder of their selected delivery slot.
Bonus tip: You can also add a reservation table to your store using WooCommerce Delivery Slots. So customers can select their delivery date before they get to the checkout.
As the store owner or admin, you’ll be able to see the delivery date in the WooCommerce orders overview, order details, and the deliveries section.
You’ll also have full control of the delivery date and time you offer in WooCommerce. In the next few sections, we’ll outline this in detail.
How to set up a delivery date in WooCommerce
To set up delivery dates for your online store, you’ll need to:
- Install the WooCommerce delivery plugin, WooCommerce Delivery Slots.
- Set up your delivery date and time schedule.
That’s it. Below we’ll outline these steps in detail so you can start allowing customers to select their own delivery date.
Step 1: Install WooCommerce Delivery Slots
To get started, purchase WooCommerce Delivery Slots from the Iconic store: iconicwp.com/woocommerce-delivery-slots
Or start your free trial:
Then follow these steps:
- Go to Plugins > Add New > Upload Plugin.
- Choose the zip file you downloaded, upload, and then click Activate.
- Once activated, you’ll need to enter your license key.
Now that we have Delivery Slots installed, we can move on to customizing your delivery date settings.
Visual learner? Follow our video tutorial:
Step 2: Set up your delivery schedule
Now you’ve added WooCommerce Delivery Slots to your store, It’s time to customize and optimize your delivery schedule.
To do this, we’re going to use WooCommerce Delivery Slots to:
- Set which days of the week you’re going to allow for delivery.
- Set the time slots within these days you’re going to allow for delivery.
- (optional) Restrict same-day and next-day delivery.
So, let’s start with setting which days of the week you’re going to allow for delivery.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to WooCommerce > Delivery Slots.
- Click on the Date Settings tab.
- Scroll down to the Delivery Days section.
- In this section, you’ll be able to select which days you’ll offer for delivery. Check the boxes on the days you want.
- Once done, click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
Next, we’ll set the time slots within these days for delivery.
- Click the Time Settings tab at the top of the page.
- On this page, make sure the Enable Time Slots box is checked to allow you to offer specific times for your customers to select for delivery.
- Alternatively, if you’d like to just allow customers to select a delivery day, leave this unchecked.
- Scroll down to the Time Slot Configuration section.
- Here you can customize the time slots you want to offer your customers. You can set:
- How long the slots are.
- Their frequency.
- What time you start and stop offering delivery.
- If there are any extra fees involved.
- And create multiple different types of slots depending on all these factors.
- Once happy, click Save Changes and you’ll be able to view them at the checkout.
We’ve set up the basics of your delivery date in WooCommerce, but there are a few more things you can adjust to make delivery even easier.
Step 3 (optional): Restrict same-day and next-day delivery
When taking orders online for delivery, you might find that customers are making last-minute purchases that you simply can’t deliver on time.
WooCommerce Delivery Slots allows you to restrict same-day and next-day delivery to make sure this isn’t a problem.
To set this up, do the following:
- Go to WooCommerce > Delivery Slots.
- Click the Date Settings tab.
- This page contains various settings for same-day and next-day delivery. Use this page to:
- Disable same-day delivery if it’s after a certain time.
- Disable next-day delivery if it’s after a certain time.
- Only allow deliveries within the current week.
- Skip the current day if it’s not an allowed delivery day.
You can also amend your settings for each time slot to restrict how long a customer has before a time slot to order.
To do this:
- Click the Time Settings tab.
- Scroll down to your time slots.
- Amend the Allow Bookings Up To (x) Minutes Before Slot section by adding the number of minutes into the box.
Adding a delivery date to your WooCommerce store
That’s it, your WooCommerce store is now ready to start taking orders at specific delivery dates.
With this up and running, you’ll be able to offer more options for customers, tailor your store’s delivery schedule to suit you, and make more sales in the process.
Make this setup quick and hassle-free with WooCommerce Delivery Slots.