Looking to add the frequently bought together feature to your WooCommerce store? You’ve come to the right place because, in this guide, we’ll walk you through how to add it to your store with the help of the plugin Iconic Sales Booster for WooCommerce.
Want to get straight to the tutorial? Click here.
If you run a WooCommerce store, you might be constantly working on ideas to increase sales. Broadly speaking, the best techniques to do this can be divided into two categories.
These two strategies help you:
- Get more customers/traffic to your store.
- Improve conversion rates and maximize sales from customers once they’re already at your store.
Today we’ll be focusing on the second with a method to help you increase your conversion rate. This is a method famously used by Amazon and one that you can easily implement on your WooCommerce store: frequently bought together.
Why you should use frequently bought together in WooCommerce
There are primarily two reasons to display frequently bought together products on WooCommerce. These are cross-selling and up-selling.
Imagine a discussion with a server at a fast-food restaurant. The server asks you if you’d like to have fries along with your burger. This is an example of cross-selling. It’s the process of selling a different product or service to an existing customer. This new product or service is generally complementary to the one that a customer uses.
Displaying a frequently purchased product is a good cross-selling strategy by reminding the customer that your store has a complimentary item too. In this example, although you may not have decided on the sandwich before you went into the store, you would definitely consider it once the server mentions it.
In a similar situation, the server may ask you if you’d like to upgrade to a grande sized Flat White. This is an example of up-selling. In essence, they are nudging you to purchase a larger portion of a product you were interested in. Up-selling is the process of persuading a customer to buy something additional in quantity or more expensive.
Showing a larger or more premium version of frequently bought together products on WooCommerce may influence a customer to purchase it, effectively increasing revenue.
As a shop owner, there are many other benefits of showing frequently bought together products on your online store.
- While it increases the likelihood of customers purchasing more products, this strategy can also serve as a less intrusive way to communicate with customers than popup ads or frequent email newsletters.
- It can be helpful for customers, as they can find products that they didn’t even know existed.
- It instils confidence in the customer to buy a new product by using social proof.
How to add frequently bought together to WooCommerce
The easiest way to display frequently bought together products on your WooCommerce store is by using a WooCommerce plugin.
In this tutorial, we will discuss how to display frequently bought together products in your WooCommerce store using Iconic Sales Booster for WooCommerce.
Install Iconic Sales Booster for WooCommerce
To get started, purchase Sales Booster for WooCommerce from the Iconic store: iconicwp.com/sales-booster-for-woocommerce
Or start your free trial below:
Then follow these steps:
- Go to Plugins > Add New > Upload Plugin
- Choose the zip file you downloaded, upload, and then click ‘Activate’
- Once activated, you’ll need to enter your licence key
Now that we have Iconic Sales Booster installed, we can move onto adding the frequently bought together feature.
Add your frequently bought together products
- Go to Products > All Products.
- Select the product you want to add cross-sells to.
- Navigate down to the Product data module on the product page.
- Click on the Sales Booster tab.
For the purposes of this tutorial, we’ll edit an existing product, ‘Grey Shoes’, to add a product which is frequently bought together with it, ‘Red Shoes’.
- Type the product name or ID of the product you’d like to add in the Frequently Bought Together field.
- From the results, select the product that you would want to associate with your base product. In our case, we select the ‘Red Shoes’ option from the results.
- At this point, you can set a discount on the total cart value by adding a numerical value in the Discount field and select either Percent or £/$ (whichever currency fits your online store).
- Once happy with the products you’ve selected, click the blue Update or Publish button at the top of the page and you’ll have the frequently bought together module added to the product page.
What this looks like for the customer
Once you’ve saved the product, a new section appears on the product page below the price. It lists all the products which you have assigned as frequently bought with the product you are viewing.
A checkbox appears next to each product. You can use the checkboxes to selectively add new products to the cart. If you add all of the additional products to the cart, the optional discount automatically applies to the combined value of the products.
Add frequently bought together to your WooCommerce store
That’s it, your WooCommerce store now has the frequently bought together feature installed. With this up and running, you’ll be able to increase sales by using social proof with a tried and true sales-boosting technique.
Make these change quickly and easily with Iconic Sales Booster for WooCommerce.