If you run an eCommerce site using WooCommerce and WordPress, you might be constantly working on ideas to increase sales. Broadly speaking, such techniques can be divided into two categories — strategies that help you get more customers to your website, and those that focus on conversion rates and maximize sales from a customer once they are already at your site. This post discusses a strategy that falls in the latter bucket — to display products frequently bought together on WooCommerce.
Why should you Display Products Frequently Bought Together on WooCommerce?
There are primarily two reasons to display frequently bought together products on WooCommerce — cross-selling and up-selling.
Imagine a discussion with a server at a fast-food restaurant. The server asks you if you’d like to have fries along with your chicken burger. This is an example of cross-selling. It is the process of selling a different product or service to an existing customer. This new product or service is generally complementary to the one that a customer uses. Displaying a frequently purchased product is a good cross-selling strategy by reminding the customer that your store has a complimentary item too. In this example, although you may not have decided on the sandwich before you went into the store, you would definitely consider it once the barista mentions it.
In a similar situation, the barista may ask you if you’d like to upgrade to a grande sized Flat White. This is an example of up-selling. In essence, they are nudging you to purchase a larger portion of a product you were interested in. Up-selling is the process of persuading a customer to buy something additional in quantity or more expensive. Showing a larger or more premium version of frequently bought together products on WooCommerce may influence a customer to purchase it, effectively increasing revenue.
As a shop owner, there are many other benefits of showing frequently bought together products on your online store.
- While it increases the likelihood of customers purchasing more products, this strategy can also serve as a less intrusive way to communicate with customers than popup ads or frequent email newsletters.
- It can be helpful for customers, as they can find products that they didn’t even know existed.
- Customers may also not know if the related products were available on your eCommerce site.
- Further, it could potentially give confidence to the customer to buy a new product, and add to cart and checkout based on social proof.
How to Display Products Frequently Bought Together on WooCommerce?
The easiest way to display frequently bought together products on an eCommerce store is through a WooCommerce plugin. One such easy-to-use plugin is our Iconic Sales Booster plugin for WooCommerce. In this tutorial, we will discuss how to display frequently bought together products in a WooCommerce store using the Iconic Sales Booster for WooCommerce.
Increase your average order value today
Use proven WooCommerce cross sell techniques to increase the average order value of your store with Iconic Sales Booster.Start Free Trial
Sales Booster WooCommerce Plugin
- Before you install the plugin, make sure WooCommerce is installed and you have a few products on your site.
- Upload the plugin on WordPress and enter the product key during activation.
- Once activated, an additional item for the “Sales Booster Plugin” appears in the left menu of the “Product Data” section when you add or edit a product on WooCommerce.
Adding products which are frequently bought together on WooCommerce
In this section, we will edit an existing product, “Grey Shoes”, to associate a product which is frequently bought together with it, “Red Shoes”.
- Click on the “Sales Booster” menu item and start typing the product name or ID.
- From the results, select the product that you would want to associate with your base product. In our case, we select the “Red Shoes” option from the results.
- You can continue to add more products to this list. Y
- You can optionally set a discount on the total cart value. Thus, if a customer wishes to purchase the new product(s) too, a discount would appear for the combined cart value.
Displaying products which are frequently bought together on WooCommerce
On saving the product, a new section appears on the product page below the price. It lists all the products which you have assigned as frequently bought with the product that you are viewing.
A checkbox appears next to each frequently bought product. You can use the checkboxes to selectively add new products to the cart. If you add all of the additional products to the cart, the optional discount automatically applies to the combined value of the products.
Final Thoughts Products Frequently Bought Together WooCommerce
In this post, we discussed the importance of displaying frequently bought together products in eCommerce stores. Next, we explored various advantages that such a feature presents to an eCommerce shop owner. Finally, we illustrated how to display frequently bought together products on WooCommerce through the Sales Booster plugin by Iconic.
The Iconic Bundles
Get instant access to all Iconic plugins for WooCommerce with up to 98% off.Get the bundle