In WooCommerce Attribute Swatches v1.1.0 the ability to group product attributes was added.
Let’s say you have a Color attribute. The color choices vary in style; gloss / matte / patterned. By default they would all show one after the other:
But using the new Groups setting, you can split them up to make it much more user-friendly:
Let’s look at how this can be achieved.
How to create WooCommerce product attribute groups
It’s important to note that you can only create groups for global attributes; this is any attribute created under Products > Attributes.
- Navigate to Products > Attributes.
- Click Edit on an attribute (color, for this example).
Scroll down to the Groups field.
- Start typing in the name of your first group, and then select it from the dropdown.
- Continue this process for the other groups.
- Navigate back to ProductsAttributes
- Click Configure Terms
- Click to a term.
- Scroll down to the Group
- Select a group from the dropdown.
- Click Update
- Repeat steps 8 to 11 for the other attribute terms.
That’s it! Now when you view the swatches on the frontend they’ll be grouped. Any that aren’t added to a group will display right after the main attribute label.